1 ½ lb cannellini beans, soaked overnight
6 sprigs plus 1 ½ tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
4 sprig plus 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 onion, diced
1 onion, whole, speared with 3 cloves
1 bulb fennel with fronts and stalks reserved
1 bulb fennel, diced
6 cloves garlic, halved
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp olive oil
5 carrots, diced
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup grated parmesan
1 c fresh breadcrumbs
1. In Dutch oven add beans, enough water to cover by 2 inches, thyme and parley sprigs, whole onion with cloves, fennel stalks and fronds and 6 halved garlic cloves. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 35 minutes. Remove from heat, drain but reserve the liquid and remove herbs, fennel and onion.
2. Preheat oven to 400. In Dutch oven, heat oil, carrots and diced fennel and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add onion and cook for 5-7 minutes, until onion softens.
4. Add garlic and cook one minute. Remove pan from heat.
5. Stir in vinegar, beans, thyme, ½ of the parsley, ¾ c parmesan and 2 cups reserved cooking liquid.
6. In separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, remaining parmesan, remaining parsley and a tbsp oil. Sprinkle atop beans.
7. Bake 45 minutes. Let cool 20 minutes before serving.