8 cups milk
2 tbsp butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup rice
1 egg, beaten
½ pint heavy cream
Then choose one of the following options:
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp cardamom
Optional add-ins: Can add shredded coconut, chopped nuts, raisins or currants as well
- In large pot, add milk, butter and sugar. Cook on medium heat until boiling, stirring frequently.
- Add rice and cook at gentle boil for 35-45 min (until thick), stirring often.
- In separate small bowl, beat egg and gradually stir in 1 cup, breaking it in half, of rice mixture into the egg. Add remaining cream and extract to bowl. Mix well.
- Add egg mixture to remaining rice pudding and stir thoroughly. If adding add-ins
- Pour into serving dish and top with cinnamon or cardamom. Refrigerate.